Monkey bread started as a Christmas morning staple in our house. It’s my daughter’s favorite breakfast, and now she asks for it all year long. These muffins are something you can make ahead and freeze for serving on those days your kids (or you!) are just craving monkey bread.
Ingredients Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread Muffins
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 package active dry yeast (about 2-1/4 teaspoons)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Methode Chocolate Chip Monkey Bread Muffins
Make the Dough
- Place the milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat in the microwave on high, until it’s about 110°F (30 to 60 seconds, depending on your microwave). Add the yeast and stir. Let it sit for a few minutes, until the yeast blooms.
- Place the sugar, butter, salt, and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until the butter is distributed throughout the liquids, although it may be chunky. Pour in the milk mixture and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the flour and stir just until the mixture starts to stick to the paddle. Add the mini chocolate chips. Then replace the paddle with the dough hook. Continue mixing on medium speed until the dough forms a ball in the center of the bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough ball in it. Lightly spray the top of the dough ball with cooking spray and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for 4 hours in a warm, draft-free place until it doubles in size, or place in the refrigerator overnight.
Assemble the Monkey Bread
- If the dough has been in the refrigerator, let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray the cavities and entire top of a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Turn out the dough onto a cutting board dusted lightly with flour. Divide the dough into 48 pieces.
- Stir together the granulated sugar and cinnamon for the rolling mixture in a small bowl. Roll each piece of dough in the mixture to coat.
- Melt the butter for the topping in a microwave-safe bowl. Whisk in the brown sugar. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of topping in the bottom of each muffin cup. Place 4 monkey bread dough pieces in each. Divide any remaining topping over the top.
- Place the muffin pan on a cookie sheet to catch any overflow. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until browned. The topping will cook over onto the top of the muffin pan, but if it is sprayed well, it will clean up easily. Cool slightly before serving. Store in a sealed container. The muffins will keep for 2 to 3 days at room temperature.
Tip You can bake the muffins as one large monkey bread in a 12-cup Bundt pan. Baking time will be longer.