This is a perfect healthy overnight Bircher Muesli recipe. Packed with slow-release energy, protein, fruit and nuts it’s a complete tasty package to get your day started and keep you going until lunch. Use with your milk of choice for a dairy or dairy-free version.
This January Food Tube, Jamieoliver.com, Jamie Magazine and Jamie’s Instagram are giving you 10 Meals to Kick-Start a Healthier 2015 for free. Great tasting dishes which are good for you, easy to make and won’t break the bank. It’s not a diet, it’s not a meal plan, just a tool kit of recipes to use in your life whenever it suits you. All healthy recipes have been developed and tested by Jamie’s food team and approved by his qualified nutritionists.
Ingredients Healthy Breakfast Muesli
- 100 g oats
- 2 tablespoons white chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 350 ml milk , of your choice (I use almond or coconut)
- maple syrup , to taste
- 1 dash of all-natural vanilla extract
- 1 lemon
- 2 ripe pears
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 small handful of dried sour cherries , or cranberries
Method Healthy Breakfast Muesli
- The night before, put the oats, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds into a bowl or container, pour over the milk, and add the maple syrup, vanilla and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix well, then cover and pop into the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, chop the pears into little chunks, sprinkle over the cinnamon and add the sour cherries. Either layer them up with the oats and seeds in a glass or bowl, or just run out of the door with everything in a little container.
Tips Healthy Breakfast Muesli
Chia seeds give a rich creaminess – if you don’t want to add chia, just don’t add as much milk. These amazing little seeds boost the nutritional value of the breakfast tenfold. They look a bit like poppy seeds and come in a variety of colours: black, white and grey. I use the white ones here. Chia seeds were the food of choice of Aztec and Mayan warriors, and a single tablespoon would keep them going for 24 hours. They are high in protein, so they’re perfect for breakfast time. You can also use them in smoothies and baking.